Feel like we made progress this week!
The Fantastic Foam Flyer design had not been performing like the internet said it would and although the kids are very happy with their planes I know they’ll be even more thrilled if the planes go up and fly around properly!.
I decided it was time to get tough with the plane so I took the tailplane off and glued it back on with a few degrees of up and cut a slice in the rudder and bent it to one side and glued it in position.
Testing our free flight planes
When testing in the hall at lunch the plane landed on the lighting rig! Fortunately the propeller was till turning and it tugged itself ree (drama!), the plane then did another circuit and landed.
We took the planes to the sports hall after school and gave them a good go, my plane flew for 15 seconds (Yessss!) and the kids planes were generally flying a bit better, much happiness and enthusiasm occurred!
New club members
We have 3 new kids in the club now, 2 more girls and one boy, bringing our fluctuating total to about 10, a bit more than we (Mr W & I) can handle but we’re doing our best!!
Most of the kids have now finished their Fantastic Foam Fliers and are learning how to wind and launch them. I’ve realized my fancy bottle top winder is probably damaging the drive unit so have fashioned a bit of wire to wind the rubber from the back of the plane like the videos have shown me.
I’ve built a new version with curves on it, just to look pretty! I’ve moved the wings back to get the balance point right without adding loads of Blu Tack. I’ve also had a good go at balancing the propeller, although I ran out of patience before it was perfect.
Video footage of the day
The final clip is the really exciting bit – 15 seconds of flight! Feel free to add useful comments below, I think it’s got a bit too much up elevator and of course the propeller needs to be balanced…